South Wales International 2022, Round 9

Keith Arkell's game in Round 9 finished pretty quickly, as he got into a bad position out of the opening against Richardson and accepted an early draw. Mine was also quite swift, as I won a pawn against Brown and converted the advantage in the ending. Keith and I spent the remainder of the session enjoying the sun outside and watching the other results come in.

And the way those other results came in mostly worked in my favour: Peter Wells's win against Camacho Collados wrapped up the tournament for him, and when Alistair Hill managed to hold against Maksimenko, I realized that I'd come equal third. Not a bad showing for my first tournament back, although the loss of 13 rating points is not something I am keen to repeat.

1st: Wells 8
2nd: Arkell 7
3rd=: Camacho Collados, Richardson, Rudd, Murphy, Maksimenko 6

Richardson and Murphy, as the highest placed not-already-qualified eligible players, qualify for the 2023 British Championship (venue unknown as of this posting).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

West is Best at the 4NCL, Rounds 1-2, 22-23 October 2022

Great Players: Ignatz von Kolisch

British Championship 2022, Round 9